Sunday, May 26, 2019

My Client's A Bitch!


** The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the designers and do not
necessarily reflect Homely Design Studios company.

Not every design job goes smoothly, but you can protect yourself.


In all the four dot dot dot years that I’ve been in the business, I’ve never let a client take over a job - But that recently changed. A new client that I’ve been working with, moved into a newly built home and she wants a complete design package. Wants a modern rustic sophisticated vibe and as always seemed very eager to get started and oh, not to mention that she has been through multiple designers (plural)  and who's overly obsessed with HGTV. Well, things went OK for months but quickly realized she was starting to talk to the contractor directly, changing things without discussing with me, going out and shopping stuff and completely taking over the job and became a real loose canon. It's like a stampede of people in the arena– with her changing things.

The result?  It has been time-consuming and everything is taking twice as long to complete.

My lesson? I’ve learned the most important rule when considering a new client is to trust your gut and always exercise caution.  We can all agree on the basics here that you don't want to work with someone who doesn't value your expertise and creativity.

My tip? The best thing we can do as a creative entrepreneur is to value our vision and services, really!

Always research the personalities of the people that you're meant to serve, and then incorporate that knowledge into how you run your business.

Bottom line. Learning is a never ending process. We’ll learn what feels right and wrong for us. We’ll be burned more than once. I still get burned now and then. I still make my own mistakes all the time. No client or designer is perfect and  but we can learn from the burns and remember them for next time and this  for sure we never want to repeat again.

Has this ever happened to you? Let me know on the comment section below.

homely design studios

No comments:

Post a Comment